Originated in northern India, Palak dal is one of the most nutritious foods- a perfect fusion of lentils and greens. Steamed rice and spicy Palak dal undoubtedly make the most fulfilling combination. Read on to know how to prepare this delicious delicacy.
- Tuvar dal (Lentils)- 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Green chillies- 5, chopped
- Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
- Garlic pods- 4, finely chopped
- Tomato- 3, chopped
- Palak- 2 cups, chopped
- Tamarind pulp- 1 tbsp
- Water- 2 cups
- Oil- 2tsp
- Ghee- 1 tsp
- Curry leaves- 4-5
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Onion- 1, chopped
- Salt to taste
- STEP 1 Pressure cook the dal with water, palak, cumin seeds, garlic pods, chillies, turmeric powder, tamarind pulp, and tomatoes for 3 whistles.
- STEP 2 Open the lid and mash the contents well.
- STEP 3 In a vessel, heat the oil and ghee for tempering.
- STEP 4 Add curry leaves, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and onion.
- STEP 5 Pour the dal and cover with lid to lock the flavour.
- STEP 6 Add salt and let it boil once.
- STEP 7 Serve hot with plain rice.