- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- thumb-sized piece ginger , grated
- 2 garlic cloves , grated
- 200g pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1-2cm cubes
- 200g cabbage , chopped (sweetheart or pointed cabbage works well)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp lime juice
- dhal , chutney and rice or roti to serve (optional)
- STEP 1 Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the nigella seeds. When they start popping, add the ginger and garlic, and cook for 1 min. Add the squash, cabbage, spices and 1 tsp salt, then mix everything together well with a splash of water, covering the pan with a lid. Leave to steam for 7-8 mins over a low heat.
- STEP 2 After this time, lift the lid to check if the squash is cooked. If not, replace the lid quickly and leave to cook a little longer. Add the lime juice and check for seasoning before serving with dhal, chutney and rice or roti, if you like.