- 4 cups whole milk, divided
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup light-brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Butter a 1½-quart casserole dish.
- Bring 2 cups of milk to a simmer in a double boiler over high heat.
- Slowly combine cornmeal to the milk. Cook for about 15 minutes, whisking frequently, until the cornmeal is smooth.
- Slowly add the molasses, then remove from heat. Add brown sugar, butter, eggs, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg, then stir until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the greased casserole dish, then pour the remaining 2 cups of cold milk over the top.
- Bake for 2 hours, or until the pudding is firm and the top is browned.